Monday, July 21, 2008

As I See It

By Janet Levy
Activist

One of the headlines in our local newspaper today says “An impressive war chest-but can Obama keep filling it?”

As we are all aware, Obama has broken his campaign promise and became the first candidate in three decades to bypass public funds. His true politician’s side is showing through, not too surprised from this end. I find it appalling how much this Election 2008 is costing, with Obama being the highest spender of all candidates thus far! I understand Obama has raised $340 million to date during his presidential run.

According to political strategists “Obama needs to maintain this pace…to match his best-ever month - every month.” McCain and the Republican Party will have $400 million to spend on the presidential campaign in the months before the November election. Obama and the Democratic Party, in order to surpass that level of spending, will have to raise $100 Million a month” according to these experts.

I guess the Democratic Party is indeed anxious. David Plouffe says “we have developed a strategy- a very aggressive strategy- that will only work if our millions of supporters continue to contribute their time and their money.” So, how much are they relying on Hillary supporters to help Obama? I honestly feel I can’t because I don’t like how Hillary has been treated by his campaign, Obama, his supporters and the overall media.

Personally I would prefer to help Hillary pay off her ten million dollar debt before I make any other political contributions. What I find amusing now is the fact that Kerry is suggesting that Obama choose Hillary as his running mate in order to get our financial support, and of course our votes. I am still struggling with this election of 2008. I don’t want McCain and I can’t embrace Obama’s candidacy (and no, it has NOTHING to do with his race or gender, despite other folks perception as such!).

My dream is still that at the time of the Convention the DNC will see the light. The Super Delegates who have not as yet supported Obama will support Hillary and finally the Democratic Party will have Senator Clinton as the official Democratic Nominee. I am very doubtful that Obama can beat McCain and the Republican Mean Machine. I know in my heart that Hillary could beat him.

No comments: